First Church Sandwich, UCC
1. Clean and maintain the interior of the entire church building. This requires dusting, washing,
polishing, vacuuming, mopping and/or sweeping and picking up, emptying trash, and replacing
burned out light bulbs, using a checklist system.
2. When scheduled in advanced through the Administrator, set-up and take down of furniture for
weekly and occasional events which need assistance. Assist on weekends where there are
multiple church related events needing arrangements.
3. Requisition custodial supplies and assure church volunteers and staff can access supplies.
Maintain orderly work and storage areas.
4. Report any malfunctions and needed repairs to the Administrator for coordination with church
Interior of church includes the narthex (front entry way), sanctuary, vestry (basement), offices,
restrooms, kitchens, Gates Room (back fellowship hall), music room, closets and hallways.
Responsibilities for working evening or weekend activities will be coordinated with the Senior
Minister. Other events such as outside organizations renting the Sanctuary, Funerals and Weddings
will include an honorarium paid by outside group and is not included in regular weekly work hours.
Daily (each time in building):
● Check for cleanliness of restrooms and supplies are stocked
● Inspect if trash needs emptying
● Tidy up and sweep or vacuum floor as need
● Check kitchen and kitchenette for cleanliness and ensure nothing is left on
● Neatly arrange all loose furniture, chairs, tables etc. through out the church
● Replace any burned out lightbulbs
● Clean every bathroom (3 downstairs, 2 upstairs, 1 vestry)
● Clean kitchen areas, including counters, sinks and range
● Vacuum carpets in narthex, sanctuary, chancel area, stairs to basement and choir loft, music
room, Gates Room, offices, 2nd floor
● Dry mop wood, tile floors and stairs
● Wet mop Preschool floor and upstairs hallway
● Dust/ remove spider webs as needed
● Dust window sills around whole building including sanctuary, dust grand piano, dust offices,
furniture and other cabinets in building.
● Mop vestry floor and bathroom floors
Additionally, if there is snow. Shovel walk aways prior to building opening for either worship on Sunday
morning or preschool during the week.
Available to work 10-12 hours a week, mainly during the workday. Physically able to move up and down
stairs, set-up and break down large folding tables and chairs, and be able to lift 20 lbs.
Previous janitorial duties, following specific expectations. A team player mentality who takes pride in
their work, and who is a flexible, self-starter, handy fix-it person.
Reports to the Senior Minister.
Works closely with other staff members and committee members and chairs.
The Sexton will work 10-12 hours per week with a pay of $20/hr. This position qualifies for paid benefit
time per the Personnel Handbook and with approval by the Senior Minister.